Thursday, February 11, 2010

Cute Capelet - 1954


Isn't this adorable? I'm a sucker for great details, and I think this capelet from 1954 has a lot of character. It was featured in an ad for Wiss Pinking Shears, and for 25¢, they would send you the pattern. The pieces are cut with pinking shears so the edges don't ravel, and the seams are accented with buttons. It looks like there are short darts at the neckline to help shape the pieces.

If I was a better pattern maker, this would probably be pretty easy to figure out, but you could also adapt a sewing pattern by just removing the seam allowances at the front and overlapping the seam allowances at the sides. I'd make it in 100% wool felt, not the cheap polyester craft felt you find in most fabric stores.

And, hey! If I've inspired you today, I want to see a picture of your finished project!