Tuesday, November 17, 2009

What's Old is New Again - Mohair Coats

File this under "What's Old is New Again". You may think the look of this plaid mohair coat by DKNY is fresh and new. And at $995, you'd sure hope so, wouldn't you?

Here it is on the runway at the DKNY Fall 2009 show.
Here it is in a recent issue of Vogue magazine.

Sorry, Donna. As a vintage clothing lover, I've seen this coat before and I don't need to spend a thousand dollars to get the look. Fuzzy plaid mohair coats were very popular in the early 1960s.

Marquise fuzzy wool and mohair coat from 1962.

Zelinka-Matlick wool and mohair coat in a big plaid from 1961.

La Vigna short mohair coat from 1962.

As a savvy consumer, I know if I purchase a vintage coat from the 1960s or 70s today, the quality and construction will be far superior to what you can offer me, and the price will be something my wallet can bear. Take these, for instance.

Donald Brooks vintage coat $225 at Enokiworld.


1960s plaid mohair coat $79.99 at GlamourSavvy.

Want the look for less? Do a Google search for "vintage plaid mohair coat". You'll find hundreds of possibilities. You'll even find a couple at Couture Allure!